Job: Food Council Coordinator for Montgomery County Food Council
Montgomery County Food Council announcement below:
Food Council Coordinator
Montgomery County Food Council
The Montgomery County Food Council is an independent council that brings together a diverse representation of stakeholders in a public and private partnership to improve the environmental, economic, social and nutritional health of Montgomery County, Maryland through the creation of a robust, local, sustainable food system.
This is a 6-‐month contractor position with the likelihood of extension. The position requires a commitment of between 25 to 30 hours a week with some required evening and weekend meetings.
To succeed as the Coordinator of the Montgomery County Food Council, you must be passionate about improving the local food system, capable and experienced at working independently; innovative, professional, and well-‐organized. There is great potential to nurture this organization and grow with it, so you should characterize yourself as dedicated, hardworking, committed, and a team player.
Food Council Steering Committee
• Coordinate and provide logistical and administrative support to the organization and Food Council Members
• Manage daily operations of the Food Council, including but not limited to internal and external communications, meeting facilitation, website, calendar, blog and listserv maintenance
• Manage budget with Fund Manager and Community Foundation
- Apply for grants and manage grant reporting with assistance from Development and Steering Committee
• Develop communications and presentation materials in coordination with the Communications Committee to effectively communicate the Food Council’s purpose, need and value
- Attend and participate in food system conferences and other events on behalf of the Food Council, within budget limitations
• Contribute to strategic planning, agenda setting, goals and objectives development with Food Council leadership
• Professionally represent the Food Council and engage political, business and community leadership through one-‐on-‐one meetings, group presentations, and discussions
• Assist in recruitment, application and selection of Food Council Members
• A Bachelor’s Degree and 2-4 years of experience in the food system, agriculture, economic development, public health, environmental work, and/or hunger relief
• Excellent relationship building, written communication, presentation and public speaking skills
• Self-‐directed and able to work independently with minimal supervision
• Ability to work respectfully among individuals with diverse cultural and socio-‐economic backgrounds
• Ability to foster and maintain a spirit of camaraderie and cooperation among diverse community and political stakeholders
• Exceptional organizational, management, research, and analytical skills
• Experience facilitating group processes and development
• Ability to multitask and prioritize workload
• Comfortable familiarity with Microsoft Word, Powerpoint, Excel, Dropbox, Gmail, Mailchimp, Diigo, Facebook, Twitter
• Must live in or around Montgomery County
• Grant writing and fundraising experience
• Experience with database creation and management
• Experience working, volunteering, or interning with a start up non-‐profit
• Familiarity with Montgomery County and the DC metro region
• Web development experience, familiarity with Wordpress
• Graphic design experience, familiarity with Photoshop
• Bilingual (Spanish a plus)
Home-‐based within Maryland or Washington DC with occasional travel to meeting and event sites within Montgomery County, Maryland. The successful candidate will be expected to provide their own computer with Internet, mobile telephone for communication, and transportation. Access to an automobile is recommended but not required. The work hours are flexible with the exception of events.
Pay is comparable to other nonprofit start-‐ups and contingent on experience. Advancement to a permanent and/or full time position is possible. Applications are being accepted on a rolling basis, we hope to have someone hired as soon as possible. To apply, please submit a cover letter, resume, brief writing sample, and three references to firstname.lastname@example.org by July 22nd. In the subject line please write “Food Council Coordinator Application”. The Food Council expects to hold interviews and make a hiring decision by July 31st, 2012. The start date will be in early August. No phone calls please.