Internship Opportunity: Greenmarket Youth Education Project
Greenmarket Youth Education Internship Description
Greenmarket, a program of GrowNYC
51 Chambers Street Suite 1231, New York, NY 10007
Phone – 212.341.2321 Email – firstname.lastname@example.org
Greenmarket Organization Information
Greenmarket is a program of GrowNYC, formerly the Council on the Environment of NYC. Greenmarket's mission is to promote regional agriculture and ensure a continuing supply of fresh local produce for all New Yorkers. Greenmarket supports farmers and preserves farmland for the future by providing regional, small family farmers with opportunities to sell their fruits, vegetables and other farm products to New Yorkers.
The Greenmarket Youth Education Project connects thousands of New York City schoolchildren in grades K-12 with Greenmarkets and our farmers to help them gain an understanding of local agriculture and the importance of eating fresh, seasonal foods. Fun, interactive learning experiences allow children to build an understanding of how food choices impact their bodies, their environment and their communities. Our School Tours at Greenmarket program reaches over 6,000 children each year.
Youth Education Internship Summary
We are seeking outgoing and enthusiastic individuals interested in local food, sustainable agriculture and education, for a hands-on, creative internship with our School Tours at Greenmarket program. This unpaid internship offers an opportunity to help facilitate school tours this spring season. A commitment to working at the Union Square Greenmarket on a Monday, Wednesday or Friday at least once a week is necessary. Ability to travel and help facilitate tours at Greenmarket locations throughout New York City on other weekdays is also required.
- Set up and break down Union Square Education Station (includes some minor heavy lifting)
- Organize and maintain visual displays and materials
- Lead student discussions about local seasonal food and agriculture
- Guide groups of up to 30 students through Greenmarkets and conduct interviews with farmers
- Set up, perform and break down cooking demonstrations and tastings of local, seasonal foods
- Help develop child-friendly, nutritionally balanced recipes and educational hand-outs
- Assist with administrative work as needed
This unpaid internship is 10-15 hours per week from mid March through June with potential to extend throughout the summer months.
- Gain firsthand experience educating students in farmers market throughout New York City
- Increase your understanding of local agriculture and the importance of eating fresh, seasonal foods
- Develop planning, organizational, time management, site management, and team-based work skills
- High school graduate (over 18 years old)
- Interest in farmers markets and/or related issues – including education, urban planning, food systems, sustainable agriculture, event planning, small business administration, economic development
- Experience working with school children in grades k-12
- Basic computer skills. Familiarity with Microsoft Office, Google Documents and design programs a plus
- Excellent time management and organizational skills
- Strong communication skills, both written and verbal
- Ability to work outdoors in various weather conditions
- Fluency in languages other than English a plus
Please submit resume and cover letter to email@example.com by March 18th. Please be sure to include
“Greenmarket Youth Education Internship” in the subject line.